Thursday, May 20, 2010

Devine Chicken Divan

Tonight I made chicken divan, which is basically a broccoli/chicken/cheese casserole, from the recipe on the back of a can of cream of broccoli and cheese. It was SO easy and when it came out of the oven, I was so excited to eat it that I couldn't stand it. I am not a great cook, but I do try to cook often. The result is that we don't eat a lot of really good meals. Many of them are just "good-enough." And, my husband never complains. Like, NEVER. He has stomached some pretty gross things in our 3 years of marriage.

So I happily place his plate before him, steaming with broccoli and melting cheese and start eating with the fervor of someone who hasn't seen food in 3 days. He asks nicely, "Do you think there's any part of this that won't taste like broccoli?"

Huh? I mumble between bites. Oh... shoot. I completely forgot that Wes hates broccoli. That means I get to eat the whole casserole... It was a fleeting thought, don't judge. I did feel really bad as I watched him shuffle the broccoli around the chicken and do his best with it. I offered to cook him something else, ANYTHING else. But he declined. So, naturally, I had to eat the rest of the casserole since its the last time I'll ever get to make it.

In summary, I highly recommend the casserole. The only alterations I suggest are 1) use 3 chicken breasts that you have cut into cubes and boiled, instead of the canned chicken they recommend. 2) Add a little diced onion... which I didn't do because Wes doesn't like onion...

No comments:

Post a Comment